7.12.11

Without poetry?




I heard a bird sing
in the dark of December.
A magical thing
and sweet to remember.

"We are nearer to Spring
than we were in September,"
I heard a bird sing
in the dark of December.
-Oliver Herford



  You see, the reason I use poetry so often is because it says what I want to say, only better. 
For an example, you could read this true account of an event in my life:

Two days ago when I got home from work, I heard a bird singing as I walked up the porch steps and it evoked memories of early spring when the ground is watery from the frost and snow melting, and those earliest weeds are greening up in the fields. 

Or you could return to the top of the post and read the poem again.   And the poem is simply more poetic! (As it is, ya know, a poem.)     Ok, I'll stop already.  :)  

What a dismal world this would be, without poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment