16.5.12

Discovering A Poet

I'd never read very many poems by Carl Sandburg before last Saturday. Oh, the usual ones of course. The one about cat-footed fog and the one about the plough-boy against the sunset. But not very many more.
 But last Saturday, I was at a homeschooler convention and bought some books from a used-book stand. Of the six books I purchased, one was titled "Wind Song".  It's a compilation of Sandburg poems, and I stuck it in my rather large handbag to read later, after I became tired of exploring curriculums and walking through booths. That time soon came, and I sat down in the high-ceilinged, many-beamed cafeteria to rest my aching feet. It was sunny and warm and on the 29th page is a poem that very nearly put me to sleep.  I've nearly memorized it since then, it is so soothing.


SLEEP SONG

Into any little room
may come a tall steel bridge
and a long white fog,
changing lights and mist,
moving as if a great sea
and many mighty waters
had come into that room
easy with bundles of sleep,
bundles of sea-moss sheen,
shapes of sunset cunning,
shifts of moonrise gold--
    slow talk of low fog
    on your forehead,
    hands of cool fog
    on your eyes--
so let a sleep song be spoken--
let spoken fog sheets come
out of a long white harbor--
let a slow mist deliver
long bundles of sleep.
              -Carl Sandburg


Which is what I need now. Goodnight all. May you dream of tall steel bridges, changing lights and mist. 


5 comments:

  1. Ummm,ok. I'm not a big free verse fan. (Ahem, ahem) This free verse isn't bad. Better than most free verse I've heard. But (here's my opinion :D) free verse shouldn't be called poetry. (I'm thankful I'm out of clobbering reach of some of you. Hah!) But there is very nearly as much difference between regular poetry and prose as between regular poetry and free verse. That's what I think. ("Take it. You're welcome. No extra charge.") :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *clobber* ok, now that's over with, I'll say that I kind of, (sort of) MAYBE agree with you. But my question is, what WOULD you call it, if not poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND that doesn't mean I agree with you on disliking free verse. I generally like free verse better than the rhyming sort. just sayin'.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is poetry actually a poetic word? Other than by association of course. It is poetic because we're used to it that way. Maybe a better word would be... (searching brain for any conglomeration of sounds...) Creatrio. (Pronounced kree-ae-tree-oe) I like the two vowel sounds next to each other. It sounds (to my untrained ears) poetic. What you think of my new word? I should turn Etymologist. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEY!!! I really like that word! except I keep thinking kree-ae-shee-ya. Creatia. which looks like Croatia. which doesn't sound poetic at all. Creatrio is much more a becoming word. So now you're not only a Barbarian, but also an Etymologist? :)
    and I showed my family that Three Little Pigs clip. They thought it entertaining indeed, and we say at appropriate intervals, "you're (or I'm, as the case might be) Looming In Deadly Proximity!"

    ReplyDelete