4.12.12

Enthusiasm is contagious,

did you know that?   

  I was giggling quietly to myself as I left the library this morning, and continued to giggle through most of downtown. I love my local library, where most of the librarians know me, and sometimes comment on the books I get ("Oh, you're reading Oscar Wilde's works.." the older gentleman librarian said, in that peculiar soft voice of his, the already long laugh lines at the corners of his eyes lengthening even further into an approving smile.  I wasn't really, I mean it was the first Wilde book I've listened to. You should too. 'The Importance of Being Earnest' is incredibly humorous, and now my sister and I quote it back and forth. 
  "My dear Algy, you talk exactly as if you were a dentist. It is very vulgar to talk like a dentist if one isn't a dentist. It produces a false impression.")  and sometimes recommend books too me, or point out new arrivals, and tell me to tell my mother hi, from Marilyn. 
  
 The reason I was amused?  Picture this if you will:

 I wander into the library, say hello to the downstairs librarian and grab 'The Essential Calvin and Hobbes' for my brothers (and me, when I have time) from the Graphic Novels. I run upstairs, choose two 'Nate, the Great' books, make some impulse picks, find something for me to listen to, and proceed to the checkout or whatever you like to call the librarian's desk.  (I can't think right now.)  
  Miss Nancy, the black-haired children's librarian, is busy at the moment, gossiping quietly with Marilyn, a downstairs librarian who has white hair and looks like she would play the piano quite well and artistically.  She comes over to me, still talking with Marilyn, who is apparently leaving.
  I think to myself that I've never seen Miss Nancy look so happy, and it soon becomes apparent to me as to why she looks so radiant. 
  She is scanning my card when, kind of out of the wild blue, she says, "I wrote a poem today! It just... CAME!" 
  Both Marilyn and I laugh, and Marilyn looks at me to say:  "She's good at that. You should hear her limericks." 
  "No, really!" bubbles Miss Nancy, "It only took me, like, three minutes! I saw that picture of the python and there it was!"   
  We talk a little about poetry writing, how it's hard to rhyme, how she mostly writes free verse, how she can't make it happen, it only happens when the inspiration comes, etc. 
   "Here! I'll just read it to you."  She smiles and rushes over to her computer, grabs a piece of paper off the top of the Stacks on her desk, and clears her throat.  
  She begins, slightly self-conscious, and Marilyn and I listen, smiling absently at the ceiling as we do so.  
  The poem is about a python, self-contained, a predator, jeweled scales the colors of earth, and it's cold eyes.  I hate snakes, but the poem is enough to make me see (for a little) the menacing beauty of  monster like a python.  She ends, looking up with a happy little laugh, and Marilyn and I laugh back and talk all at once, to tell her our reactions. 
   "Ooooo," I say, "It's like, step away from the poem, there's a snake in there!!!" 
   They laugh at me, and Miss Nancy thinks it would be a good title for the poem and shows us the bookcover on which the bejeweled python stares out at us with cold, predatory eyes, just like she said.      
  "Wow, what a morning..." I think to myself, as I trot down the steps with my armload of books and dodge between the brick pillars towards my vehicle.
  "A poet and a python."   
  Then I felt an urge to write it all down, so I have, on here.  I tell you, enthusiasm is contagious!  Go tell someone what you're excited about. It will inspire them.

4 comments:

  1. "The Importance of Being Ernest" is pretty giggle worthy. I remember giggling when I read it back in the day.

    My hometown small town library is very nice too (and the librarians). Don't think any of them have ever shared poetry they wrote, though.

    --Rundy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's just something about authors sharing their own personal work with you...

      Which reminds me, I liked your book! (the one about your grandfather) Both laughter and tears...

      Delete
    2. Well thank you for saying so! I had wondered some time ago if you had read it. I am currently working on polishing up the material (and trimming a lot out) in the hopes it can become a story professionally published.

      --Rundy

      Delete
    3. Oh, how exciting! Or maybe not yet. Polishing and trimming do not sound too appealing. :) Keep it up, though. Good books are worth effort.

      Delete