10.3.13

A Book Review

   Once upon a time, Dee read a book. (Well, many books but this is the one we are talking about.)  She laughed and laughed.
  Then, one day, she was delighted to find that the author was writing a sequel. She read it.  (After he was done writing it.) And laughed and laughed. Probably harder this time.  
  She told her brothers about them, because the books had swords and chases and princesses in it, and her brothers like swords and chases, and princesses, even if they don't admit it.  
  The bookworm brother read them first. He told the other brother about the plots of the two books in between giggle fits, and persuaded him to read them.  And he laughed and laughed. 
  Dee's sister read the books, and laughed too. She liked the princess, (and the would-be prince, even though she didn't admit it). 

 They agreed the books were good. 
 They also agreed that they liked the fact that the author was a homeschooler, (well, was one when he was "in school", but you know, once a homeschooler always a homeschooler.) because they themselves were/are homeschooled.  
  In fact, they talked about the books for nearly an hour and a half straight, while they were on a trip, just hashing the plots, quoting their favorite lines, and discussing the various characters. 
 Here are some conversation snatches.  WARNING: the following is filled with private jokes and references which you will not understand unless you've read the books yourself. Also, the quotes are not in any kind of chronological order, and may not be word perfect.

D: So, N--, what do think of the book? 
N: I like it.  *giggles*
D: Why's that?
N: Because, um, I don't know why. Um.... Well, one reason is that it's funny. 
D: Yeah, like where Ben falls out the window while he's desperately trying to get out of the court, and then hides in the closet but gives himself away by the puddle his clothes make.
N:  Yeah!!!!  *eyes sparkle*  Or when Ernie is blasting the goblins who are pawing at his quilt!  

*momentary blip in the conversation where they both proceed to quote the scene, (though the words may have sounded garbled and not very fierce, because they're laughing too hard) and are joined by the sister in hopping up and down. Yes. in a van.* 

D: So who's your favorite character?
N: Oh, that's hard. It's difficult to tell. Maybe Ben... but maybe Ernie.
D: So why Ernie?  (Can you tell that I start a lot of my sentences with 'so'?
N: *grinning hugely* Cause he's so oblivious!  *he launches into another quote*  "Great socks! Noble socks! Socks that a king would beg to wear!" 
D: *laughing*  If you were one of the characters which would you choose to be? 
N: Hmmm.....   Probably Ben.  
D: Why's that?
N: Cus. He's kind of, well, you know, simple-ish, but he's strong and does things even though he doesn't think he can and he still wins.
D: I like him because he's very loyal.  And takes care of Jess.
J: That's one reason I like that book so much. You can tell he loves Jess a whole lot, but it isn't mushy. Oh, *starts laughing* remember the part where Ben's absentmindedly playing with her hair and she doesn't tell him, cus he'd stop cus he'd be embarrassed?
*We laugh*
W: They should make it into a movie!!!!  An animated one, like Tangled!
N: Yeah!!!!!!  But there would have to be at least two or three movies because they can't cut anything out. 
W: No, that would be bad. 
N: And they probably would.
W: Yeah... but the books are pretty cool.

N: Better than the Narnia books.
D: You liked them that much?
N: I don't why. I think it was easier to understand. 
D: Mmmm... *doesn't quite agree, but is delighted to have referred him to a book that he likes so well*
D: If you could tell the author anything about his books, what would you say?
N: That I like his books. And he should write another one!!!!! 
W: Yeah!!!!!!
N: He could do one in the south! We didn't go there yet.
(side note: This is a sign of a good book. Once you get to the end and you aren't done exploring. You just want to go on, a little further.) 
W: He could put in some maps.
N: Oh, that'd be cool!
D: I like maps...       
N: *contemplatively, on a different subject* I like Charlez too. 
 *and here ensues an argument on how to pronounce the aforementioned name and also the word "bikalis"*  *and then discussion ends in a conglomeration of quotes, each of us throwing in the ones we remember and repeating the ones the others say*
 
 
  So, you may be asking yourself, "What cool book could she be talking about?"

They are called The Stuttering Bard of York and The Stuttering Duke of York, respectively.

 Here you go. Check 'em out. Buy them, they're worth it. I must confess that I haven't yet. YET,  I said. I will. Sometime. Buy them that is.
  However, the author offers them in pdf format for free online reading. SCORE!!!!!   It's awesome. Yay for local-ish authors!!!!!!!!  And light against dark stories!  And a princess who- but that would be giving it away, and I like torturing people with unread books.   Mwahahaha...   

The author's professional website, where you can find the books, and also other workscreative-vapors.com



I just gave you an Armchair Adventure for a relaxing evening sometime



You're welcome.    :)


9 comments:

  1. Awwww! Thank you! This made my day. Seriously. This is the type of review an author is dying to get with all the little details and everything. If only you could see how big I was grinning when I read this post. The way your family enjoys the books is the way they should be enjoyed.

    An author always likes to know when their books is appreciated.

    Now as far as pronunciation, I am always pronouncing words wrong so I can only tell you in my mind how they are pronounced. Bikalis is "Bi" (as in Bicycle) then "kal" and finally "is" pronounced similar to the beginning of "issue" with a sibilant edge. At least I think so.

    The name Charlez is making exaggerated fun of imagined French pronunciation. Say it Char-lez with all the Frenchy-ness you can muster. (Or not.)

    I will try to make time to draw up a map at some point.

    You can tell N that I have plans for a third novel, though--since it currently only exists in my head and the form of some notes--he will (guessing from the conversation that N is a brother) probably "be old and dead" by the time I finish it, if I ever finish it. (Life is so uncertain.)

    But if you'd like to torture him, you can tell him these tidbits: Some of the story might take place in the southern lands, the story will involve Ben, Jess, and Ernie (and others) and Ernie will be trying to get back on the Wizard Council. There will be a flying pig, and a journey to the infernal regions. It's a bit complicated and involves a possible end of the world as we know it. (Oooh, exciting stuff!)

    And a lot of problems, of course.

    Thanks for the link to my professional website, and thanks again for the review!

    P.S. I'm going to link to your post from my blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the delay in publishing your comment...

      You're welcome for linking your site. My pleasure.

      Ha. I was right! I was pronouncing bikalis right and they were wrong. Ha! Thanks for clarifying that point. It's great getting it straight from the author because then there's nothing they can do about it. :) Not that they minded being wrong... :)

      I told my brothers what you said about a third book. They are delighted. Think hyper...and hoping it's finished before they're "old and dead". The two of them keep bringing it up every once in a while, and conjecture on what escapades are in the works. N was especially interested in the mentioned infernal regions, because he'd predicted at one point in time that it would have SOMETHING to do with them. :)

      Complicated with a lot of problems is a good thing, as long as it comes right in the end. :)

      And we're all of us excited about the map. Yay!!

      Thanks for the books. :)

      p.s. you aren't considering doing an audio recording of them, by any chance?

      Delete
  2. I would love to have the books in audio format. From time to time I have played around with the idea of trying to record them myself--I figured it might be a way for some free exposure for my books on iTunes, etc. The one thing holding me back from doing it myself is that Ben is loosely based upon yours truly (with exaggeration, of course, and the obvious face that I have neither a princess for whom I pine or a wizard in my life). I don't stutter so badly, or with the exquisite hilarity of Ben, but I am certainly less than mellifluous in my verbal skills. (This can sometimes seem hard to believe to some readers since I can write a good sentence, but 'tis true.) I have some concern that any attempt of mine to read the novels aloud will end up something like Ben's attempt to earn himself a bed and a hot meal by singing wherein he offered, "For a broom and a hot steal I'll ingrain your guests" (Book 1, chapter 4, if we're quoting scenes).

    In other words, I am concerned that if I read it aloud my audience might end up laughing (or groaning) for the wrong reasons. This has led me around to the thought that it sure would be nice if I were rich enough to pay someone competent to read the books aloud. Yeah, that's not happening any time soon.

    If I am to take your question as a vote in favour of an attempt, I will keep that in mind as I ponder the possibility. It would be fun to have the book in audio form if the product were of tolerable quality :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely in favor! Listening to books is good for me, because I read very quickly and therefore have a tendency to skip or miss thing. Also, it's a great thing for roadtrips and tedious (though fairly mindless) chores.

      Are you SURE you don't want to do it? I realize that to a certain extent the quality of a reader can "make or break" a book, but.... whenever I listen to a book read by the author, I tend to pay more attention, because it feels more personal. Plus, it's just cool. :)

      Delete
    2. I am willing to consider it, but no promises. If I record a chapter and the playback makes me want to jump off a bridge you're not going to see it :-)

      Also, I will have to buy myself a microphone if I am going to try.

      Delete
    3. Well, no rush. We don't want the possibility of you jumping off a bridge to come anytime soon. :) At least, not until after the third book is written. (The Stuttering Adventurer of York? King? Farmer?) :)

      Delete
    4. Tentative title is The Stuttering Hero of York. (I know, it doesn't give anything away!)

      Delete

    5. N feels vindicated. "I knew it was going to be either 'Warrior' or 'Hero'!" Thanks for answering our hints. :)

      Delete